Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Gym, Day One

As I tire of relentlessly beating myself up for having gained weight (weight which has been with me for 10 years now), I took a proactive step today and went to the gym. My original plan was to go to a 30 minute "All About Abs" class, but then I remember that 10 years ago, I somewhat regularly went to a 15 minute abs class that consistently kicked my butt. Or my gut. And I thought, wow, this class is 30 minutes, that's twice the gut kicking I used to get when I worked out on a semi-regular basis. So, I did a little cardio and a little arms/legs stuff on the machines. I may attempt the Abs class on week 2 of the gym.

The workout ended well, but started a bit bumpy. I left my water bottle in the car. No problem, I'll just frequent the water fountain and check out the 19 year old hottie boys. Before I got on the bike, I got my ipod shuffle out of my bag. I was so impressed that I actually remembered it!! Alas, I did not remember to charge it. No tunes for me, but I did get in some good people watching and hopefully, some even better calorie burning!

Part two of the getting fit plan is to actually read the Weight Watchers emails I get. I mean, I pay a monthly fee for them, perhaps I should read and ACT on them. Yes, that's right. I pay a monthly fee for information that would help me get back to my fightin' weight but I don't actually pay attention to the emails (or my eating habits). I might as well just toss some money in the garbage each month. Some days I think there may be no hope for me.

But today, I actually made some progress - at the gym and with my to-do list.

And, I have a new tool for bribing myself on the dissertation... When Chapter One is in my professor's grubby little hands, I'm going to treat myself to this toy:


No comments: