Sunday, October 19, 2008

Called out

My good friend Sharon made a very astute observation of my blogging subject matter: In just one month, I had two posts about my wonderful ability to procrastinate. I truly have a problem.

One of my co-workers suggested a "life coach" to help me through the dissertation process. Apparently, those folks can help you get things organized in such a way that you actually make progress instead of staring at a semi-blank computer screen praying for divine inspiration in APA 5th edition format.

WHEN I have a full-time job again, I have several priorities for my paycheck: 1. Get out of debt (this includes significant student loan debt, yikes). 2. Get a housekeeper. I am a horrible housekeeper and I'm OK with that, but I do like to have a clean house. 3. Pay someone to spend one week with me going through every little piece of paper I have, including the boxes in the garage that haven't been opened in at least the last 2, if not 3 moves.

I am a pack rat. I come by it honestly, through my father's side of the family. I simply do not know what to do with paper. I keep all kinds of things that are of no use whatsoever because I can't figure out what the heck to do with it. I should take a picture of my desk and post it. But not yet. So, I need help. My good friend Amorette came down a few years ago and we tackled my spare bedroom with great success. Unfortunately, I've had some time to undo all the work we did. Sigh. Amorette would be so sad to see what I've done since she was here.

I really try to not obsess about material things - i.e., my next paycheck and how much (hopefully) having a Ph.D. will influence that amount - but I really do want some extra cash to pay for someone to help me be organized. And so I pay for today's shopping spree here.

And, of course, I'd like to do my part to end world hunger and work for world peace. Wouldn't want to seem to materialistic after I just encouraged everyone to help end world poverty on my last post.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I am so outing you on my blog now!!! MISS YOU!!!